The University Lodge of Chester was formed from Temple Lodge Number 4477 in March 2011.
The plan was to form a Lodge, in the university city of Chester, to become part of the Universities Scheme of the United Grand Lodge of England.
Temple Lodge was founded on the 12th of February 1923 at the Masonic Hall, Oliver Street, Birkenhead as the Daughter Lodge of Baron Egerton Lodge No. 3513, which celebrates its Centenery in November 2011.
The first meeting of Temple Lodge was at Clifton Road, Birkenhead, in September 1923.
There were twenty founder members, mostly from Baron Egerton Lodge and there was always a very close connection between the two Lodges.
The Consecrating Officer was the Right Worshipful Provincial Master, Lieutenant Colonel Hubert Cornwall-Leigh, D.L., P.G.D.
In April 2011 the request to change the name from Temple Lodge to the University Lodge of Chester No. 4477 was granted by The MW The Grand Master of The United Grand Lodge of England.